Leadership Award In Honor of Jane Skrzypek
This NYS PTA award was established in 1991 to honor the memory of Jane
Skrzypek. The purpose of this award is to recognize an outstanding leader in
your PTA who, by his or her actions, inspires others to volunteer and assume
leadership positions. The award is given in recognition of outstanding PTA
volunteerism and leadership. Applications should be submitted to your region
director. Each region may submit one nominee to the State. From the nominees
submitted, one recipient will be chosen by the Awards Specialist and the
Leadership Development Committee. The State winner will be honored at the
New York State PTA Convention in November and will receive an engraved
mantle clock. The chosen recipients from each Region will also be recognized
by a smaller clock from NYS PTA at an event within their regions. The
application process and criteria to nominate a volunteer is described below.
Application - Leadership Award in Honor of Jane Skrzypek (fillable Word
Application - Leadership Award in Honor of Jane Skrzypek (PDF
Postmarked, not metered, by June 15 to the PTA Region Director (click
for Region Director list).
To be eligible for nomination the nominee must:
- Be a member of a PTA/PTSA in good standing.
- Volunteer through the PTA.
Members of the New York State PTA
Governance Team are not eligible for this award.
The nominee must:
- Volunteer above and beyond the scope of his/her PTA position;
- Exhibit leadership qualities that encourage others to participate and volunteer.
The following must be considered when applying:
- The form must be filled out completely and signed by the PTA president.
- All units/councils in good standing or regions are eligible to nominate someone for this award.
- Each submitting group may nominate one person per year.
- The nominee’s leadership qualities should be included on the application form.
- The application must include two statements, written as letters. One
statement should be from an officer of your PTA and the other may be from
the principal/superintendent or from another PTA officer who has worked with
- Each letter must be submitted on one piece of 8½” x 11” paper. No more
than two (2) letters will be accepted. The letters should describe why this
person is deserving of this award. These letters should give examples,
explains the nominee’s leadership qualities and how these qualities have
affected your PTA.
Unit/Council Leadership Recognition In Honor of Jane Skrzypek
Although only one NYS PTA winner is chosen, your PTA/PTSA may wish to honor
a volunteer who goes above and beyond the scope of his or her position – a
person you can always rely on to be there when an extra hand is needed. You
may honor a volunteer within your unit by presenting a Jane Skrzypek
Volunteer Pin (purchased through the NYS PTA Store at a cost of $5.00 or
contact the State office). However, receiving the pin does not make the
recipient a Jane Skrzypek Volunteer of the Year Award winner, only NYS PTA
can select the winner.